This project started as a visual record of colonial and early-national ruins in Haiti, but it’s grown in both scope and depth. For instance, I’ve included gingerbread-style and other architecture from Port-au-Prince, Cap-Haitien, and Jacmel that are from much later periods. I've included sites that blend archeological/historical interest like the shell mounds on Île à Vache and the caves of Konoubwa at Camp Perrin. I try to tie these records to online historical sources and appropriate bibliographical resources where appropriate. Please see Resources below and specific web pages for some suggestions. The Locations by Region and Locations by Type tabs take you to galleries around Haiti.
Kreyol translation done by Cédric Delmy (thank you, thank you!). All mistakes my own.
I'm still looking for pictures of many sites and welcome contributions (all attributed--otherwise, all pictures have been taken by me). Each region home page lists some specifics, but there are, of course, many sites I just don't know of yet. See the current list under Sites/Photos needed. Sign up for updates at the bottom of the page.
Contact me (Stephanie Curci):
My writing on this project (click to read PDF) :
These are some of the sites that inspired/confirmed/etc.
I’ve included the ones I found the most useful.
- Bob Corbett’s Haiti page
- 1871 la Selve manuscript–tour of the country
- Professor John Garrigus home page
- The Louverture Project: a wiki
- Kesler Pierre’s Photos
- Maisons de maitre et habitations coloniales: French government patrimony organization publication (see publication #5 and #3)
- New York Public Library Digital Images: Haiti
- Potomitan: Site de promotion des cultures et des langues créoles
- The Slave Route (UNESCO)
- Base Ulysse: Archives Nationales d'Outre Mer
- Gallica: Online portal for Bibliothèque Nationale de France
- Clark Moore and Nils Tremmel's inventory of archaeological sites
- Caves of Haiti: Exposition Grottes d'Haiti
Some texts I found particularly useful in locating texts:
- Atlas Côtier du Nord-Est d’Haiti, Ministère de la Culture (Haiti)
- Avengers of the New World, Laurent Dubois
- The Black Jacobins, C.L.R. James
- Bonjour Blanc, Ian Thompson
- Dictionnaire de la Révolution Haitienne, Francois Roc
- Le Livre Blanc. Ministère de la Planification et de la Cooperation Externe. 1997 (The link I used no longer works. This plan lists cultural/historical/tourist sites by region. If you find a new link to this plan, please let me know).
- Haiti: Portrait d’un Pays, Daniel Kedar (and anything else by Daniel Kedar)
- Silencing the Past, Michel-Rolph Trouillot